Cubs @ Oakland – Series Preview: August 5-7; TV Info, Pitching Match-ups, More
The Chicago Cubs (66-41), fresh off a series sweep over the Marlins, travel to take on the Oakland Athletics (47-60) at the Oakland Coliseum starting on Friday. In case you haven’t checked lately, Oakland is in dead last place in the American League West division.
This west coast swing is a short one, in fact the Cubs will head right back to Chicago on Sunday night and enjoy a day off before hosting the Anaheim Angels next Tuesday.
The Cubs have stretched their lead in the NL Central to 9.5 games, thanks to a 13-6 record since the All-Start break. Meanwhile, the Cardinals just lost 2-of-3 against the Reds.
Game times and broadcast info
- Friday, August 5 at 9:05 PM CDT on CSN+
- Saturday, August 6 at 3:05 PM CDT on CSN
- Sunday, August 7 at 3:05 PM CDT on WGN
What to watch for
- Oakland has lost five of their last six games heading into this series. They have the second worst offense in the majors with 3.1 WAR. That compares to the Cubs who are first with 24.6 WAR. So, when you look at this series on paper, the Cubs should run away with it.
- The Cubs have their top three pitchers going in this series in Lester, Arrieta and Hendricks, all three with an ERA under 3.00. Who would’ve guessed that Kyle Hendricks would be leading the way with a 2.22 ERA, which is good for second in all of baseball behind only Clayton Kershaw.
- Saturday’s game is 1980’s Turn-Back-the-Clock themed. It’s too bad Tommy La Stella won’t be playing (he was sent down to Iowa). His walk-up song, “December, 1963 (Oh What a Night),” would’ve fit in well, even if it is a 70’s song.