Here’s a cool way to help support Joe Maddon’s Hazleton Integration Project and enter to win a chance to meet Joe on the field prior to a Cubs’ game in 2017. Here’s the skinny:
Want to meet Joe Maddon and help Hazleton at the same time?
- Go to the link below.
- Predict the Winners of the 2016 MLB Playoff Series
- Help Joe Maddon’s Hometown Charity!
- Grand Prize: Meet Joe Maddon, 4 great seats (with field passes) to a 2017 Cubs game!
- 2nd Place: An authentic autographed Joe Maddon Cubs jersey
- 3rd Place: An authentic autographed Joe Maddon Cubs cap
- 4th Place: An authentic MLB game ball signed by Joe Maddon
You can donate as much or as little as you like. All proceeds go directly to Joe’s Hazleton Integration Project. Hurry – deadline is at 7 PM CT today!!!
Under the guidance of Chicago Cubs Manager and Hazleton native, Joe Maddon, the Hazleton Integration Project, Inc (HIP), purchased a former Catholic School building in March of 2013 and since then we have used the facility to provide a central location within the city of Hazleton conducive to creating opportunities for economically disadvantaged children to participate in a variety of no-cost or low-cost educational, cultural and athletic activities. To this end we have operated the Hazleton One Community Center with programming designed to engage our children in wholesome activities while fostering an atmosphere of trust and respect among all of our region’s ethnic cultures.
History and Impact
“If you build it…they will come…” Field of Dreams (1989)
Recognizing that we are now and have always been a country strengthened by the contributions of diverse cultures, HIP endeavor to help create and maintain an atmosphere that will serve to unify the varied cultures of the City of Hazleton, Pennsylvania, and thus keep our area vibrant and relevant.
The center offers a wide range of social events, cultural celebrations, athletic and recreational activities, and educational classes. In the three years since the community center opened, HIP has seen explosive growth of its programs and services well beyond the initial expectations.
- Increased unity
- Increased sense of community
- Leveling the playing field for underserved children
- Creating hope for vulnerable children
- Changing the course of lives
- Providing a foundation for next generation
- Providing legacy for children
- Incalculable impact
- Community buy-in and ownership
Since opening in June, 2013, the Hazleton One Community Center (HOCC) has quickly becoming a gathering place for the community and a safe haven for children. Thanks to the hard work of many dedicated volunteers the Community Center is open 7 days a week. With just over three years of operation this organization has become a vital resource in the Hazleton.
For our efforts HIP was the recipient of the 2014 Pennsylvania State Education Association’s Human & Civil Rights Award.