Cubs Reveal Players Weekend Jerseys, Nicknames
MLB’s inaugural Players Weekend, a celebration of the childlike fun at the heart of the game, is taking place August 25-27. Players will be wearing unique uniforms that will feature nicknames rather than the traditional last name. They’ll also have special batting gloves, cleats, and various other accoutrements.
The uniforms will also feature a sleeve patch that depicts a child growing into a big-leaguer, with space under the logo for player to inscribe the name of someone who helped them achieve their dream. The game-worn jerseys will later be auctioned off, with all proceeds going the MLB-MLBPA Youth Development Foundation, which focuses on improving youth baseball and softball programs in the US and Canada.
The hats and jerseys are all available now at Fanatics (free shipping), and they’ve even got shirseys if you’re into that sort of thing.
Here’s a list of the nicknames being used (my suggestion, when applicable):
- Tommy La Stella: La STELLA (TLS or 3AM)
- Albert Almora Jr.: TICO (BERT)
- Carl Edwards Jr.: CARL’S JR.
- Ian Happ: HAPPER (HAPPY)
- Javier Baez: EL MAGO
- Kyle Schwarber: SCHWARBS (WAR BEAR)
- Kris Bryant: KB
- Ben Zobrist: ZORILLA (CHANGE YOUR WALK-UP SONG)
- Koji Uehara: KOJI
- Jason Heyward: J-HEY
- Addison Russell: ADDY
- Kyle Hendricks: HENDO (PROFESSOR)
- Jon Jay: 305 J
- Brian Duensing: DEUCE
- Mike Montgomery: MONTY
- Willson Contreras: WILLY (WILLCO)
- John Lackey: LACK
- Anthony Rizzo: TONY (BIG TONY)
- Pedro Strop: STROPY (HATS TO THE LEFT)
- Jake Arrieta: SNAKE
- Hector Rondon: RONDI
- Jose Quintana: Q
- Wade Davis: WADER