Cubs @ Pirates Series Preview (April 8-11): TV and Game Info, Starting Pitchers, Insights
The Cubs offense betrayed them as they lost two of three against the Brewers at Wrigley to even out their record. It continues a theme of hitting futility that has stretched over parts of four seasons on the Northside, though even the frustration of the past can’t compare to batting .124 as a team through six games. Now they head on the road for six starting with three in Pittsburgh.
If the Pirates can’t wake up the Cubs bats, it’s likely nothing can. The Reds outscored the Bucs 20-7 in a sweep at Great American Ball Park that made Cincy look like the ’27 Yankees. Losing young star Ke’Bryan Hayes to a wrist injury diminishes an already weak Pittsburgh lineup that looked listless without him at Wrigley.
Of course, Pittsburgh’s only win this year came against the Cubs so it is hardly in the bag. It would still be nice to see a lopsided score or two. I don’t know, maybe get the team batting average over .200 for a while?
It’s just six games into 2021, but it can get late pretty early if you drop a series to a rebuilding Pirates squad.
Game Time and Broadcast Info
- Thursday, April 8 at 12:35pm CT on MLB Network and Marquee
- Saturday, April 10 at 5:35pm CT on Marquee
- Sunday, April 11 at 12:05pm CT on MLB Network and Marquee
Starting Pitchers (2020 statistics)
What to Watch For
- The Cubs’ offensive issues don’t get better when you look at the numbers.
- Colin Moran reached base six times against the Cubs last series.
- Craig Kimbrel has looked very sharp in three appearances this season.
- If literally any hitter could catch fire for the Cubs it would really help a lot.