The Cubs continued their early struggles by dropping two of three to a rebuilding Pirates team that hadn’t won since Opening Day in Chicago. Being outscored 15-3 in the final two games of the series was tough to swallow and things don’t get any less difficult as three games in Milwaukee loom.
The Brewers just scored a total of 18 runs the last two days in a series win over the Cardinals, but the real story for the Brew Crew has been the starting pitching. Brandon Woodruff and Corbin Burnes have combined for 33 strikeouts in just 23.1 innings of work so far and the Cubs will have the pleasure of facing both in this set.
Even though Milwaukee’s offense had been sputtering with just a .202 batting average, the Cubs’ .167 mark makes it look robust in comparison. Travis Shaw and catcher Omar Narvaez have led the way the first nine games, which is no surprise to those of you who saw them last week in Chicago.
The Cubs need to get things going after a decidedly flat 4-5 start to 2021. The starting staff has joined the bats in going cold and the schedule gets tougher the rest of the month. Hopefully, they can answer the bell starting this week.
Game Time and Broadcast Info
- Monday, April 12 at 6:40pm CT on Marquee
- Tuesday, April 13 at 6:40pm CT on Marquee
- Wednesday, April 14 at 12:40pm CT on MLB Network and Marquee
What to Watch For
- Javy Báez has hit two home runs, but he also has an alarming 15 strikeouts in just 33 at-bats.
- Arrieta has battled control issues, but his numbers have been good so far overall.
- Narvaez has seven hits in his last four starts and took Alzolay deep last week.