The Cubs (27-22) took care of business in Pittsburgh, sweeping the Pirates to move into a virtual tie for first in NL Central. The wins were tightly fought and locked down by Chicago’s lights-out bullpen. Now they return to Wrigley for a three-game weekend set with Cincinnati.
The Reds (22-26) have lost seven of 10, including getting swept at home by the Giants, but Jesse Winker and Nick Castellanos remain a devastatingly effective one-two punch a top the order. Both have an OPS over 1.000 and they’ve combined for 25 homers, so they can carry the lineup even without much help.
Cincinnati has had myriad pitching problems in 2021, starting with Luis Castillo‘s 7.61 ERA, which is hardly what was hoped for from an opening-day starter. The Reds’ relief corps has been a real sore spot for the second-worst pitching staff in baseball.
The Cubs have been excellent at home this season with a 16-9 record and this is a chance to move further above .500 mark before challenging series with San Francisco and San Diego the next 10 games. In a division this tight, every single game could be huge.
Game Time and Broadcast Info
- Friday, May 28 at 1:20pm CT on MLB Network and Marquee
- Saturday, May 29 at 1:20pm CT on Marquee
- Sunday, May 30 at 1:20pm CT on Marquee
.What to Watch For
- Gutierrez is making his major league debut on Friday.
- Kris Bryant has a total of eight hits his last four games.
- Davies has allowed just 5 earned runs in 26.1 May innings.
- Joey Votto and Mike Moustakas are both out with injuries.