Cubs @ Giants Series Preview (June 3-6): TV and Game Info, Starting Pitchers, Insights
The Cubs (32-23) are red-hot right now, having gone 9-1 in their last 10 to move 1.5 games into first in the NL Central. The pitching staff held an explosive Padres offense to just five runs in a three-game sweep. Things don’t get easier for Chicago with a week-long trip to the West Coast starting Thursday with four in San Francisco.
The Giants (34-21) are massively over-performing their meager preseason expectations as an unheralded starting pitching staff led by Kevin Gausman has posted the third-best ERA (3.04) in baseball. The bullpen has not been as good and closer Jake McGee has struggled at times, so they’re kind of like the Bizzaro Cubs.
On offense, San Francisco is getting big contributions from several veteran bats. Buster Posey has a .987 OPS after missing the 2020 season while Evan Longoria and Brandon Crawford have combined for 20 home runs.
Seven of the Cubs’ next eight series are against teams with winning records, so the month of June is going to tell Chicago a lot about what kind of team they are. Here’s hoping it’s very much like the one we saw in May.
Game Time and Broadcast Info
- Thursday, June 3 at 8:45pm CT on Marquee
- Friday, June 4 at 8:45pm CT on Marquee
- Saturday, June 5 at 6:15pm CT on FOX
- Sunday, June 6 at 3:05pm CT on Marquee
If you don’t have access to Marquee through your current provider, check out a free preview of fuboTV.
What to Watch For
- Anthony Rizzo has five hits in his first two games in the lineup after his back issue.
- Patrick Wisdom and Javy Báez each had three homers against the Padres.
- Stewart gets another start after his promising Chicago debut.
- The Cubs are just 11-13 on the road this season.