Cubs vs. Padres Series Preview (June 7-9): Broadcast and Game Info, Starting Pitchers, Insights
The Cubs (33-26) are coming off a disappointing start to their West Coast road trip, dropping three of four to San Francisco. The offense took a step backward in that set, averaging just 3.5 runs per game, but the more significant issue was the pitching that yielded 22 runs to an underwhelming Giants lineup.
The Cubs are now 6-4 in their last 10 as they prepare for a three-game series against San Diego (36-25), who they swept at Wrigley the previous week. Before being humbled in Chicago, the Padres had won 16 of 20 and will indeed be looking for payback. San Diego enters the series losers of their last two after splitting a four-game set against the New York Mets.
The Padres rank first with a collective ERA of 2.87 and 21st in OPS (.693). Yu Darvish, who’s scheduled to pitch in game three, is putting together his second consecutive Cy Young-caliber season. Darvish leads the team in ERA, wins, and innings pitched and ranks second in strikeouts, WHIP, and BAA.
On offense, Fernando Tatis Jr. is slashing .292/.376/1.058 with 39 RBI and 13 stolen bases. When these two teams met in Chicago, the Cubs held Tatis Jr. to one hit with one RBI in six at-bats. The visitors will need to duplicate this performance against the Padres’ megastar if they hope to leave town with a series win or another sweep.
Game Time and Broadcast Info
- Monday, June 7 at 9:10 pm CT on ESPN, Marquee, and 670 The Score
- Tuesday, June 8 at 9:10 pm CT on Marquee, MLB Network, and 670 The Score
- Wednesday, June 9 at 3:10 pm CT on Marquee and 670 The Score
What to Watch For
- Alzolay has a 1.53 ERA in his last three starts, with 19 strikeouts and four walks in 17.2 innings.
- Since being called up on May 25, Patrick Wisdom is 14-for-34 with seven home runs and 10 RBI. His slash line currently sits at .400/.444/1.088.
- Over the past eight games, the Padres scored 18 runs (17 earned) on 52 hits.
- Jake Marisnick (hamstring) is expected to join the team at some point in San Diego.
- Javier Báez (thumb) and Joc Pederson (back) are both listed as day-to-day.