In early June, the Cubs were tied for first with the Milwaukee Brewers. Now just two months later, the Brewers have a 14-game lead over the Cubs in the Central and any drama that the four-game series between the two would’ve generated this week is gone.
Chicago does have its first bit of excitement since the great reset at the trade deadline, however, as Justin Steele will make his first career start in the series. He’s been incredible as a reliever and starter so far this season and the Cubs hope he can be a permanent fixture in the starting rotation.
The Brewers are still getting great starting pitching as they maintain their lead in the division, but a COVID outbreak has cost them closer Josh Hader for a week. The offense has been coming around as well, though, especially with the emergence of Willy Adames.
The Cincinnati Reds are still lurking five games back, so the Cubs are reduced to trying to play spoiler in the series. It would be nice if they could make the Brewers sweat a little bit and maybe bring the Reds back into the race. That is the most we can hope for at this point, so let’s hope it happens.
Game Time and Broadcast Info
- Monday, August 9 at 7:05 CT on Marquee Sports Network
- Tuesday, August 10 at 7:05pm CT on MLB Network (out of market only) and Marquee Sports Network
- Wednesday, August 11 at 7:05pm CT on Marquee Sports Network
- Thursday, August 12 at 1:20pm CT on Marquee Sports Network
What to Watch For
- The Cubs are moving to a six-man rotation with the addition of Steele.
- Mills had a quality start at Coors Field his last time out as he fights for a future rotation spot.
- Christian Yelich is having an awful year with just six homers and a .739 OPS in a not-so-nice 69 games.