Cubs @ Cardinals Series Preview (October 1-3): TV and Game Info, Starting Pitchers, Insights
The Cubs (69-90) have finally reached the end of the line in 2021. They were basically out of the playoff race for the last three months of the season, but now the calendar actually runs out as they finish up with a set of three games against the rival Cardinals (89-70) in St. Louis.
For good measure, a COVID outbreak is apparently hitting Chicago as they reach the finish line. Both Patrick Wisdom and Austin Romine have been placed on the IL with unspecified issues that have allowed the Cubs to call up two replacements without making 40-man roster moves.
It is a fitting end to a tumultuous year that has seen massive turnover on the roster, including a selloff at the trade deadline and 66 different players appearing in a Cubs uniform.
Meanwhile, the Cardinals have come out of nowhere to pile up wins down the stretch and lock down the final Wild Card spot in the NL. They were so effective that these final games of the season are inconsequential to them.
The possibility of a rebuild was certainly there for the Cubs even before the season began, but their big May gave hope to the idea of a final ride with the core of the 2016 World Series team. Of course, that hope evaporated and the 90-loss squad that finished the season was born.
It was more of a season to be endured than enjoyed, at least that’s how it’s felt. Hopefully, 2022 will be different or at least have fewer painful farewells. Either way, 2021 will not be missed in Wrigleyville.
Game Time and Broadcast Info
- Friday, October 1 at 7:15pm CT on Marquee Sports Network
- Saturday, October 2 at 6:15pm CT on FOX and Marquee Sports Network
- Sunday, October 3 at 2:15pm CT on Marquee Sports Network
What to Watch For
- Rafael Ortega had five hits and four walks against the Pirates as he ends his season on a high note.
- Nick Martini also had five hits and four walks against Pittsburgh.
- Mills is trying to finish strong after posting an ugly 7.82 ERA in the month of September.