Chicago Cubs vs Miami Marlins – Series Preview (August 5-7): Overview, Game and Broadcast Info, Starting Pitchers, W2W4
The Cubs have lost five consecutive games as they play out the string on the 2022 season and battle for better lottery odds. The unexpected retention of Willson Contreras and Ian Happ did little to stop a three-game sweep by the Cardinals, who took advantage of a depleted Cubs bullpen. Next up, three at Wrigley with Miami.
The Marlins have been mired just below the .500 mark all season, getting close before falling back. Jazz Chisholm Jr. was having a breakout year but a back injury cost him the rest of 2022. Garrett Cooper and Jesus Aguilar are two remaining threats in a pretty weak lineup.
The pitching staff is the stronger unit in Miami with a 3.85 team ERA, 11th best in baseball. Sandy Alcantara and Pablo Lopez are having massive seasons in the rotation to lead the way, with Alcantara’s 1.88 ERA and 141 strikeouts generating Cy Young buzz.
It will be interesting to see what reaction fans have to the heroes they thought they had bid farewell to last week. That should be nice, unlike the on-field product the Cubs are offering of late.
Game Time and Broadcast Info
- Friday, August 5 at 1:20pm CT on MLB Network (out-of-market only) and Marquee Sports Network.
- Saturday, August 6 at 1:20pm CT on Fox Sports One and Marquee Sports Network.
- Sunday, August 7 at 1:20pm CT on Marquee Sports Network.
What to Watch For
- The Cubs have scored nine total runs during their five-game skid.
- Steele got two extra days of rest with Wednesday’s rainout as his innings pile up.
- The doubleheader won’t help the ‘pen, so the starters need to provide some length.